A major change to the broadband industry affecting all network operators and service providers is underway and INCA Members need to take action to adapt and benefit. INCA has been working with Ofcom, OTA and other industry organisations on behalf of the independent sector. Now is your chance to get involved and get your views represented.
Based on the EU Electronic Communications Code – EECC – Ofcom has mandated a new method for consumers to be able to switch their broadband connection. This is to be "Gaining Provider Led" (GPL). The EECC was transposed into UK law in December 2020. The statutory instrument was laid before Parliament on 2 Dec 20 and is here (thanks, Aidan).
The Office of the Telecommunications Adjudicator – OTA2 – worked extensively with the industry to come up with 2 Options for GPL submitted to Ofcom. Ofcom has now decided on OTS: One Touch Switching. This must be in operation cross-industry by April 2023.
The Switching and Wholesale Special Interest Group (SWSIG) has analysed how OTS could be the catalyst for Wholesale Platforms as all such platforms will need to be aligned with the OTS Hub for easy interoperability and timing implementation. The work to ensure that independent networks can be consumed by scale retailers is vital - if they can't use services available from INCA Members, other networks will be used.
At the behest of Ofcom, OTA is continuing to consult with industry in 2 workstreams: Governance and System Design. INCA represents members in both groups.
INCA recommends to all INCA network operators, wholesalers and systems vendors should engage with the OTA process as all your OSS / BSS will need to interface with the new OTS system.
This page is an index to our work on behalf of INCA Members. We trust it will be a useful resource in this area. There is a great deal going on with some very short timescales. Don't get left behind.
- OTS Hub and Wholesale Platform requirements updated to reflect Ofcom OTS statement
- Scale Retailer Product set and Openreach portfolio
- Switching and Wholesale Survey June 20 - results on GPL and Common Wholesale Platform
- Supplier Responses to Topline Requirements v1
- SWSIG Progress Update 9 Apr 20
- SWSIG Subgroups Update 8 Apr 20
- Report on INCA's Switching & Wholesale SIG (SWSIG) Tues 14 Jan 20
- New Cross-platform Switching Process will affect all Network Operators – backgrounder – Nov 19
- New Cross-platform, Gaining Provider-led Switching to be implemented in 2020 - initial – Nov 19
- Registration form for Switching & Wholesale Special Interest Group
- SWSIG Meetings and Workshops
Ofcom and OTA
- Ofcom GPL statement "Quick, easy and reliable switching" prefers OTS approach (One Touch Switch) 3 Feb 21
- Ofcom statement on EECC implementation & consultation 27 Oct 20
- OTA2 X & Y Hub Dependencies and Reliability Assessment 6 Oct 20
- Option Y Group response 4 Aug 20 to 17 Jul Ofcom asks.
- Ofcom asks for Option X & Y to respond by 17 July 20
- Ofcom asks for Option X & Y to respond by 8 June 20
- Openreach's info on All-IP "digital lines programme for industry"
- 1st 220 All IP Exchanges / FTTP Upgrade
- Ofcom Options X & Y impact on Wholesale
- GPL Switching – Update Feb 20
- GPL Switching - OTA2 ECWG Workstream, Ofcom consultation
- Thu 2 Dec 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- (Thu 11 Nov 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm cancelled)
- (Wed 3, Thur 4 Nov 21, INCA Conference)
- Thu 7 Oct 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 2 Sep 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 1 Jul 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 9 Jun 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 6 May 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 1 Apr 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm slide deck below (you must be logged in)
- Thu 11 Mar 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm slide deck below (you must be logged in)
- 4 Feb 21
- 7 Jan 21
- 26 Nov 20
- 22 Oct 20
- 5 Aug 20
- 9 Jul 20
- 11 Jun 20
- 21 May 20
- 30 Apr 20
- 9 Apr 20
- 26 Feb 20
- 14 Jan 20
- 25 Nov 19
If you do not have a full-time Public Affairs, Policy and Regulatory function in your organisation, you will find the new INCA Policy and Regulatory Service, designed for the interests and needs of our independent sector, well worth while to protect and promote your interests at this level.
If you are not already an INCA Member and are an organisation working in or supplying the Independent sector, why not consider the wide range of Member Benefits in addition to the Policy, Events, Quality Mark workstreams. More details here.