A major change to the broadband industry affecting all network operators and service providers is underway and INCA Members need to take action to adapt and benefit. INCA has been working with Ofcom, OTA and other industry organisations on behalf of the independent sector. Now is your chance to get involved and get your views represented.
Based on the new EU Electronic Communications Code – EECC – Ofcom is mandating a new method for consumers to be able to switch their broadband connection.This is to be "Gaining Provider Led" (GPL).
DCMS has announced that the provisions of the EECC will be transposed into UK law by 21 December 2020 and a consultation on this closed in September. The statutory instrument was laid before Parliament on 2 Dec 20 and is here (thanks, Aidan).
After a significant industry consultation via the Office of the Telecommunications Adjudicator – OTA2 – Ofcom have published a statement in favour of "One Touch Switch" (OTS) using the YHub version of Option Y. This must be in operation by December 2022.
There is a short period of further consultation - now extended to 14 Apr 21 - followed by a definitive decision by Q2 21. The Code to Switch (formerly Option X) proposal was updated and now includes an IVR so a Code can be requested without having to contact a person at the Losing Provider. INCA is preparing a response to this so please let us have your views.
The Switching and Wholesale Special Interest Group (SWSIG) is now working on the Wholesale platform which will need to be aligned with the OTS Hub for easy interoperability and timing implementation. The work to ensure that independent networks can be consumed by scale retailers is vital - if they can't use services available from INCA Members, other networks will be used.
This page is an index to our work on behalf of INCA Members. We trust it will be a useful resource in this area. There is a great deal going on with some very short timescales. Don't get left behind.
- OTS Hub and Wholesale Platform requirements updated to reflect Ofcom OTS statement
- Scale Retailer Product set and Openreach portfolio
- Switching and Wholesale Survey June 20 - results on GPL and Common Wholesale Platform
- Supplier Responses to Topline Requirements v1
- SWSIG Progress Update 9 Apr 20
- SWSIG Subgroups Update 8 Apr 20
- Report on INCA's Switching & Wholesale SIG (SWSIG) Tues 14 Jan 20
- New Cross-platform Switching Process will affect all Network Operators – backgrounder – Nov 19
- New Cross-platform, Gaining Provider-led Switching to be implemented in 2020 - initial – Nov 19
- Registration form for Switching & Wholesale Special Interest Group
- SWSIG Meetings and Workshops
Ofcom and OTA
- Ofcom GPL statement "Quick, easy and reliable switching" prefers OTS approach (One Touch Switch) 3 Feb 21
- Ofcom statement on EECC implementation & consultation 27 Oct 20
- OTA2 X & Y Hub Dependencies and Reliability Assessment 6 Oct 20
- Option Y Group response 4 Aug 20 to 17 Jul Ofcom asks.
- Ofcom asks for Option X & Y to respond by 17 July 20
- Ofcom asks for Option X & Y to respond by 8 June 20
- Openreach's info on All-IP "digital lines programme for industry"
- 1st 220 All IP Exchanges / FTTP Upgrade
- Ofcom Options X & Y impact on Wholesale
- GPL Switching – Update Feb 20
- GPL Switching - OTA2 ECWG Workstream, Ofcom consultation
- Thu 2 Dec 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 11 Nov 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- (Wed 3, Thur 4 Nov 21, INCA Conference)
- Thu 7 Oct 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 2 Sep 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 1 Jul 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 3 Jun 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 6 May 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Thu 1 Apr 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm slide deck below (you must be logged in)
- Thu 11 Mar 21, 2:00pm - 3:30pm slide deck below (you must be logged in)
- 4 Feb 21
- 7 Jan 21
- 26 Nov 20
- 22 Oct 20
- 5 Aug 20
- 9 Jul 20
- 11 Jun 20
- 21 May 20
- 30 Apr 20
- 9 Apr 20
- 26 Feb 20
- 14 Jan 20
- 25 Nov 19
If you do not have a full-time Public Affairs, Policy and Regulatory function in your organisation, you will find the new INCA Policy and Regulatory Service, designed for the interests and needs of our independent sector, well worth while to protect and promote your interests at this level.
If you are not already an INCA Member and are an organisation working in or supplying the Independent sector, why not consider the wide range of Member Benefits in addition to the Policy, Events, Quality Mark workstreams. More details here.